Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Bias Misleads

It’s important for you to understand about bias because it’s one reason why the stuff I write on this blog and in God’s Plan for Your Success (GPS) Basic Training is different from much of what is seen in the Christian universe. I explained in the “How are we to understand Scripture?” that I believe truth is the key that opens the Scriptures to us. The truth is consistent with itself. Therefore one’s understanding is accurate by the extent to which that understanding is consistent with the face-value assertions of Scripture.

For example, Calvinists tell us that the “all” in Paul’s remark, “This is good and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth” (I Timothy 2:3-4) doesn’t mean all mankind, just all of God’s elect, the people God chose to be saved before the beginning of time (Ephesians 1:3-14). They say this because of their doctrinal conclusions. But many other equally well-educated theologians have concluded that the “all” does embrace all mankind. They do that because that interpretation is consistent with their doctrine. My question: Who’s right? Could both be wrong? Could both be right?

My goal is accurate understanding, and I’m still working to achieve it. My focus has been on practical Christianity, “What’s going on here, and what do you want me to do next, Lord?” I’m not out to protect my turf. I’m out to accurately understand God’s turf, but for lots of scholars I suspect something else is going on. I’ve termed it “academic shift” and believe me when I admit that I’ve felt it personally.

Once a person thinks he has a handle on what the Bible says and means, their goal shifts from discovering the truth to defending their conclusions about it. The shift is subtle but extremely important because their goal has changed. No longer are they in submission to Scripture, but they are in submission to their interpretation of Scripture. Thereafter their time is spent defending their conclusion, not more completely understanding the Scriptures. They begin to see the Scriptures as colored by their bias. Depending on their attitudes, the net result is serious division among Christians more concerned with defending their positions than entertaining the Big Questions and more completely understanding their faith.

For this reason my GPS Basic Training materials are different. They are open, clear, and non judgmental. When I find my conclusions biblically questionable or incorrect, I change them and reflect it in my writing. So, while I know enough now to know that I’m not misleading my students, I also know I’ve got lots more to learn; and that means changing my mind when I’m wrong. Admittedly, life is easier when you know it all like most doctors and preachers, but it’s wiser when you’re in full submission to Scripture and open to the changes maturing in it may bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment